Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Metal lath hate, reprise

After the fantastic time we had on Sunday, Monday was a bit of a letdown. I spent three hours trying to get an electrical box into the opening behind the metal lath and plaster, but since the wall cavity is so shallow and the #$%& lath and plaster is so thick in that area, it's pretty much a no go. I'm going to have to cut out a bigger portion and then patch with drywall so that a shallow old work box will fit behind it.

A large portion of that time was also spent trying to install a deadbolt for our sliding glass door too, as we don't have the cash flow right now to completely replace it and the lock is broken.

I did take a photo of the patches for the bathroom heater, though, so all is not lost. I do suppose I'd rather waste three hours of a weekday evening than a weekend day on doing the whole box thing, and either way it would have had to be done. I haven't failed, I've just found many ways that won't work!

Here's the photo:

I think he did a fabulous job. It still needs to be covered and the joints feathered out, but the lion's share of this job is complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment